Thursday, November 10, 2011

Inspiration

I love quotes. I have a short book of quotes that I compiled over a few months in 2006 and may one day publish, though I hope to add to it considerably before that time. I was reading the other day and came across a very inspirational quote (a few paragraphs worth, actually) that I think could benefit us all. It's from a young girl who lived during World War II. Although it always saddens me I love reading her stuff. She always tried to see the best in the world and had a great perspective. I always try to think of people like this when I have a bad day and want to complain. I usually don't think of Anne Frank specifically, but I do think of my very best friend Jenny. She was always positive and tried to stay happy, no matter the circumstances. She was, and still is, a great inspiration to me. So here's your inspiration for the day.

I don't then think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains. This is one of the things that Mummy and I are so entirely different about. Her counsel when one feels melancholy is: "Think of all the misery in the world and be thankful that you are not sharing in it!" My advice is: "Go outside, to the fields, enjoy nature and the sunshine, go out and try to recapture happiness in yourself and in God. Think of all the beauty that's still left in and around you and be happy!"
I don't see how Mummy's idea can be right, because then how are you supposed to behave if you go through the misery yourself? Then you are lost. On the contrary, I've found that there is always some beauty left - in nature, sunshine, freedom in yourself; these can all help you. Look a these things, then you find yourself again, and God, and then you regain your balance.
And whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery!
~Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

No comments: